In getting ready for the geekfest that is SXSW, I thought I would point out some fun sites that you might or might not know about that are handy, plus fun. And not at all geeky – they are much more for social networking.
– Upcoming.org – allows you to set up an event for people to attend. Add events you are interested in to your calendar.
– Twitter – a fun way to send a text message that goes out to your friends to update them on where you are or what you are thinking. Really, whatever you can fit in the text limit, actually. It has been fun watching what my friends are doing, seeing who is already in Austin, who is on their way to Austin, etc. It should be a handy way to answer the question, “where is everyone going tonight?” You know, if everyone uses it.
– Grand Central – get a phone number anywhere in the US. Use it to then forward calls to any or all of your phones. For example, I got a number that I feel comfortable posting on the Fresh Photography site. Grand Central will basically “screen” calls for me if I want, which is quite handy. You can even listen in as someone leaves you a voicemail message and pick up the call if you want! Just like the old days with an answering machine! We have Vonage so we can call anyone in the US for free from our home phone, but this would be a handy way for Mike to have a Kentucky number for his family to use to call us for example. Hmm, I wonder if Kentucy is available?
– Conferenceer – a handy way to see what panels are offered and decide what you want to go and see. I’m not sure if this is just for SXSW (SXSW07 Panels) or if you can use it for other conferences too.
– 30 Boxes – a nice, free online calendar that plays well with others. I can see Mike’s calendar, and I can easily add events from Upcoming.org to my calendar. Sweet!
I think that is all of them, but if I think of more I will add them here. Check them out and see what they can add to your life!