1. Which Blog post of yours was one of your favorites of 2002? Wow. Uhm, huh. It’s been a really, really long year. I’m still thinking on this one.
2. Were there any “old acquaintances” that should be forgot this year? The Insignificant Other has gone, and while it’s my nature to be sad about anyone that is out of my life, I’m not that sad about this. I said a year ago yesterday that it was a toxic relationship and I’m in a much better place today.
3. Did you finish what you started last week? Hmmm… I don’t even remember what I started last week!
4. Will you be doing anything to celebrate “New Year’s Eve?” Any traditional food or drinks you associate with “New Year’s?” I will be going to Elaine & Kenny’s house with Mike to celebrate with the Gaggle of Friends! I associate champagne with New Years, but I refuse to drink it. Ugh, that stuff is nasty!
5. What was the coolest present you got this year? Hmmm… I’m going the sappy route on this one. The gift of love and kindness from an awful lot of friends!
6. The day after Christmas, around 3pm, I drove by a car where the driver and his passenger were each drinking a beer; there was no mistake about it. I was shocked, because I’d never seen anyone actually do this. And wasn’t sure what I should do about it. What would you do in the same situation? I live in Texas, where open containers are legal for passengers, and a lot of drivers do this too. (It used to be legal for them when I first moved here.) I probably wouldn’t do anything because I wouldn’t want them coming after me, plus there isn’t really a whole lot I could do. Call the cops? But they would drive off. I guess I could give the cops the license plate number.
7. Have you ever driven a car while drinking alcohol? Ever driven drunk or known anyone who has? How’d that turn out? Yes, I’ve done it. I know it’s wrong. I don’t do it now, but I wasn’t always the sharp cookie that I am today. Years ago I drove from a bar to the Army base that I lived on in Germany. My girlfriend was freaking out, pointing out that I had been drinking. I pointed out that the speed limit – which I was following – was 20 kph. 20 kph is about 12 mph. It’s so slow it’s almost hard to drive that speed. I told her that if someone was walking on the road, they should see me coming and get the heck out of my way.
Yeah, not the best attitude to have (the roads were empty though and we made it the 10 blocks home with no problem.) I’ve seen the death & destruction that drinking & driving can bring on and I have a huge respect for it. I won’t be doing it tonight.