The “Roots” addition of the friday five caught my eye, so here it goes:
1. What is your lineage? Where are your ancestors from? My dad’s family is a bit of a melting pot, but mainly German, from the Northern parts of Germany. Some of them moved to the US from Canada. Remind me to tell you the story about the Tories someday. My mom’s family is Austrian, 100%. Frauenkirchen, near Vienna. (Austria. Not to be confused with Australia.)
2. Of those countries, which would you most like to visit? Austria, because my Mom has done a lot of genealogy research and has found our relatives there. I’d like to go and meet them.
3. Which would you least like to visit? Why? There is no “least” option for me. I would be on the first plane to either Germany or Austria if I had the money. Heck, I would even go to Canada pretty fast.
4. Do you do anything during the year to celebrate or recognize your heritage? Many of our Christmas traditions have German roots.
5. Who were the first ancestors to move to your present country (parents, grandparents, etc)? I have no idea about my Dad’s side of the family, although I was once told that the first Sellecks were here before the American Revolution. (See mention of Tory story above.) My Mom’s side of the family – my Great-Grandparents were the first ones to move to the country (some moved as children and came with their parents, my Great-Great-Grandparents) and my Grandparents were the first born in the US.